Thursday, May 21, 2015

Steve Job's storytelling

This post is a reaction to Steve Jobs' 2005 Standford commencement speech, it can be found here

For me the thing that made Steve's story so compelling and memorable was that they were so authentic and real. He didn't leave out the bad bits, in fact he championed his failures, struggles and the shitty hand life sometimes dealt him.  Steve laid everything out and this made him able to connect and relate with almost everyone in the audience that was present that day and anyone who watched the video, including myself. I was immediately drawn into his speech by the calm and causal way he started out, he was just going to tell a couple of stories, no big deal. In an amazing and intricate way he was able to connect his stories to the story that the graduates in the stadium were creating on that very day and would continue to create for the rest of their lives. It helped that big things have happened for Steve Jobs, everyone loves to hear stories that have action and interesting parts, but he was also able relate the most basic and simple idea from his stories, don't settle, follow your dreams. These are ideas that anyone can grasp and incorporate into their life.

Obliviously I have never experienced some of the things he has professionally or personally, but I felt strong emotions of happiness, sadness, loneliness and satisfaction as he was describing his life. Hearing his description of his life and outlook on life gave me new insight into my own life and how my outlook on life could be. I never heard Steve Jobs speak, and really didn't know a lot about him before I watched this video, but it is pretty evident that he was a great storyteller and a great man.
'

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed that video, Emily, and I think you noted something that really makes a difference in storytelling--that ability to connect with your audience and know what they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, he really mastered that.

    ReplyDelete