Sunday, June 21, 2015

Storytelling in Education

I was struck by a reading in my digital storytelling class this week that described how a teacher used stories to teach English as a second language. It was really interesting to know how adults continue to learn through stories and how teachers can enhance their stories through the use of simple techniques such as rhyming and repetition.

As a librarian I read to children almost every day and continue to struggle with making sure that I am incorporating early literacy skills into every storytime. I want to make sure that the children who attend my storytimes are learning through play. In the past it has been hard to determine what types of stories to include but through the readings and lectures in my digital storytime class I have learned that picking a good story is important but the delivery of the story it is also important, maybe more than the story itself. My Professor mentioned in her lecture that asking involving children in the storytime also improves the children's ability to absorb the ideas that are being presented. I think that starting this early in a child's development leads not only to children developing literacy skills but also being able to use stories in other aspects as life. Gaming for example, children can create games out of stories that they make up themselves and this gives them a social outlet. Whether they are socially popular or awkward using stories to relate to peers is a great way for children to learn about other people and cultures. Creating and sharing stories helps kids find a happy and positive place in their world.


1 comment:

  1. And speaking about the delivery of the story as being important, you have made some excellent strides in the "telling" piece of storytelling.

    ReplyDelete